Monday, May 22, 2017

The BCT

Getting back into our rhythm today after a long weekend out of town was just what we needed. For the first time we explored the gorgeous, Grill House Trail. This beauty runs by Swedetown Creek just before it empties into the canal.
To greet us today were some chirping birds, cardinals, if my bird song identification is getting any better. As always my boys were most taken by the creek and the sound of the water tripping, falling, and washing over and around the stones. They were also taken by the trees, a mix of pine, birch, poplar, among others, and kept arching their little necks back, squinting up into the sky to look in wonder and amazement at the height of the tree tops.


As for me, I spent a large amount of time noticing and wondering about the many ferns nearby. My college botany classes were coming back to me as the term "fiddle heads" popped from my memory. What I didn't remember, and what a quick Google search revealed, is that fiddle heads are young ferns, just beginning to unfurl. And for those of you who are brave, like to forage, and want to extend your palate, apparently fiddle heads make a good vegetable (it is a thing, really....just Google it and be surprised as I was).



Alas, little legs become tired, and little stomachs grow hungry. After spending the morning on the trail, we hiked back to the car, saying our good-byes to the creek, the cardinals, and the pine trees, and the question was asked, "Can we come back soon, mom?"

Music to my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment